What is the therapeutic potential of CBD Oil ?
Cannabidiol, known as CBD, is one of the cannabinoid compounds found in the cannabis plant. Even though Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive cannabinoid compound found in the marijuana plant, CBD does not share the same psychoactive properties and therefore, it does not get you high. This quality, in particular, makes CBD an appealing alternative option for those who experience pain every day due to their underlying medical conditions because CBD oil does not result in any of the mind-altering effects of marijuana, THC, or certain pharmaceutical drugs.
CBD oil is made by extracting Cannabidiol compound from the cannabis plant and then goes into the dilution process with a carrier oil, such as coconut or hemp seed oil.
How Does Cannabidiol Work in the Body ?
In order to fully understand how CBD affects us, we need to go deeper into how the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) works.
The ECS is a complex network composed of receptors and chemical mediators spread throughout the body. Our bodies naturally produce cannabinoid-like compounds called ‘endocannabinoids’. These compounds interact with the designated cannabinoid receptors (type 1 and 2). Through this pathway, the ECS is involved in a majority of the biological processes inside our bodies and our brain, including memory, cognitive functioning, pain perception, mood and depression, inflammation, immune-related responses to various micro-organism (bacteria, viruses…etc.), and much more.
Cannabidiol binds with the cannabinoid receptors, particularly cannabinoid receptors type 2, and through this pathway, CBD can affect our bodies and brains without creating any psychoactive effects.
What Are the Health Benefits of CBD Oil ?
Once CBD has been proven effective in the management of many hard-to-treat cases of epilepsy, more research has been conducted in order to investigate its potential benefits in many other health conditions. Herein, we report some of the therapeutic effects of CBD oil that are supported by scientific evidence.
- Relieves Pain: CBD may help reduce chronic pain through the regulation of endocannabinoid receptor activity and reducing inflammatory reactions. Several studies conducted on humans found that a combination of CBD and THC is effective in managing the pain related to rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and multiple sclerosis (MS). The effects of this combination were evident within just one month of treatment, with improvements in pain, walking, and muscle spasms.
- Reduces Anxiety and Depression: These two conditions are typically treated with pharmaceutical drugs, however, an increasing number of adverse effects have been reported, including drowsiness, agitation, insomnia, and headaches. On the other hand, CBD oil has shown promise as an alternative option for both depression and anxiety. CBD has been shown effective in treating insomnia and anxiety in patients with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Alleviates Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in cancer patients: Today, there is conclusive evidence that cannabinoids, including CBD, are very effective anti-emetics in the treatment of chemotherapy-induced vomiting and nausea.
- Works as a potential alternative option for Acne medications: CBD has been shown to target every underlying cause of Acne. CBD exhibits anti-inflammatory properties in addition to the ability to reduce sebum production.
- Has Neuroprotective properties: Despite the known and proven effects of CBD in the management of certain types of epilepsy that are resistant to common medications, CBD has been shown to reduce spasm in 75% of patients with multiple sclerosis, who are resistant to current medications.
- Has beneficial effects on the heart and blood vessels: Hypertension, or high blood pressure, is linked to increased risk of a number of adverse heart events, including stroke and heart attacks. Recent studies have shown that CBD may be able to reduce high blood pressure. In a study, CBD oil (600 mg) was given to nine healthy individuals and the results showed that CBD was able to reduce resting blood pressure in comparison to placebo (no medication). Moreover, CBD was able to lead to a small rise in blood pressure after a stress test (which normally increase blood pressure markedly) than the normal rise in response to these tests.
- Has other potential benefits: Preliminary animal studies have shown promising effects of CBD in treating various conditions, including psychosis, substance abuse, cancer, and diabetes.
However, all of these findings are still under investigation and warrant further confirmation by larger human studies.
What are the Side Effects of CBD Oil ?
Many studies have reported that CBD is a much safer option than some of the popular over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription drugs. Moreover, CBD has been reported to have minimal side-effects in some studies, while other studies have shown that it has no side-effects at all.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), CBD exhibits no properties of abuse of dependence potential with no evidence of any adverse events associated with its use.
Here are some potential adverse reactions to CBD :
- Dry mouth.
- Low blood pressure.
- Gastrointestinal irritation (Diarrhea).
- Interaction with other medications.