As we know that cannabidiol (CBD), which is made of the compound cannabinoid that is found in the marijuana plant “called Cannabis Sativa”, is a very popular remedy for various illnesses. This is not psychoactive like Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) that gets you “high”. However, CBD has a very appealing result for those who are looking for treatment for pain and other symptoms without any mind-altering effects of marijuana and other drugs as well. Studies have shown that CBD has curing and healing properties and one should understand that it can replace pharmaceutical drugs in a very short period of time depending on the work and investment in this compound.
There are many benefits of CBD and more and more doctors are openly recommending it.
CBD reduces Inflammation
CBD has strong properties which can alleviate inflammatory signs in the body. It has shown relevant results in mediating the immune responses that are associated with various diseases such as hypertension, depression, and Alzheimer’s disease. CBD has been shown to have promising anti-inflammatory properties through the molecules present in them which have the ability to combat associated oxidative stress in many ways, showing immunosuppressive effects on microglial cells and macrophages, which are the cells that play an essential role in the immunity and inflammation. By activating glycerin receptors, CBD has shown results in reducing chronic inflammatory pain and has shown positive effects on intestinal Inflammation.
This cannabinoid compound has contributed to the treatment of inflammatory diseases related to bowel (i.e. inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) such as ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease) and suggested therapeutic uses for major surgeries in the near future.
|Type||Name||Drug||Dose / Form||Disease||Application||Development Stage|
|Oral||Dronabinol||THC||Solid||HIV, chemotherapy||Anorexia, nausea||Market|
|Oral||Nabilone||THC analogue||Solid||Chemotherapy, chronic pain||Nausea, pain||Market|
|Oral||Epidiolex||CBD||Liquid||Lennox-Gastaud and Dravet syndromes||Epilepsy||Market|
|Oral||CBD||Solid||Crohn?s disease, GVHD||Clinical trials|
|Oral||THC||SEDDS||Improving dissolution, stability||Preclinical|
|Oral||THC-glycosides||Prodrugs||Drug-resistant inflammatory bowel disease||Inflammation||Clinical trials|
|Oromucosal||Nabiximols||THC CBD 1:1||Spray||Multiple sclerosis||Spasticity||Market|
|Oromucosal||THC CBD 1:1||Chewing-gum||Several potential diseases||Pain, spasticity, dementia etc.||Preclinical|
|Intranasal||CBD||Liquid formulations||Bioavailability study||Preclinical|
|Pulmonary||Powder metered-dose inhaler||Bioavailability study||Clinical trials|
|Transdermal||CBD||Gel||Epilepsy, osteoarthritis, fragile-X syndrome||Clinical trials|
|Transdermal||CBD||Oil, spray, cream||Epidermiolysis bullosa||Pain, blistering||Clinical treatment|
|Transdermal||CBD + hyaluronic acid||Gel||Pain, wound management||Formulation study|
|Transdermal||CBD+ argan oil||Rheumatic diseases||Inflammation||Formulation study|
|Transdermal||CBD+boswellic acid||Inflammation||Formulation study|
|Topical ocular||THC analogue||Prodrugs||Glaucoma||Reduce intraocular pressure||Formulation study|
How CBD works in the body
Cannabinoid compounds mainly function by attaching themselves to specific receptor. The human body produces endocannabinoids on their own as well, and there are two receptors for Cannabinoids: cannabinoid receptor type 1 and type 2 (CB1/CB2).
Manipulation of endocannabinoids and the use of exogenous cannabinoids in vivo can constitute a potent treatment modality against inflammatory disorders. CB1 receptors are distributed mainly in the brain and central nervous system with sparse localization in the periphery. On the other hand, CBD 2 receptors are mainly distributed in the periphery and the cells of the immune system. They primarily target and affect pain and Inflammation. During its application on rats and mice, it showed an immense reduction of chronic inflammatory pain. Doctors are now beginning to believe that CBD can soon replace medical drugs and offer practical and advanced medication for Epilepsy, Cancer, diabetes and other illnesses.
The benefits of CBD
- Relieves pain –Even though Rheumatoid Arthritis can be fairly managed by various therapeutic agents, these medications often have deleterious side effects either due to their active compounds or due to their route of administration. CBD attenuates inflammation and pain without any evident side-effect. In an experimental study conducted on a rat with arthritis, topical administration of CBD resulted in a significant reduction in inflammation and associated pain. The proposed mechanism through which cannabinoids exhibit their actions is by attaching to certain receptors called cannabinoid receptors type 2 (CB2) which result in attenuation of inflammatory response.
In 2011, authors investigated the endocannabinoid levels in the biopsy specimens of 41 patients with Crohn’s disease and 33 patients with Ulcerative Colitis, and they found that various inflammatory mediators were significantly decreased in the mucosa of IBD. In the same context, a rat-model with induced colitis revealed reduced colon injury, decreased expression of inflammatory markers, and decreased reactive oxygen species production. Noteworthy, even though cannabinoid compounds in rat models of colitis demonstrate improvement in inflammation, evidence of similar effects are less robust in human studies, however, recent evidence leaves the impression of potential benefit in symptom control and quality of life in patients with IBD.
- Reduces anxiety and depression – There are mental health disorders that can have a negative effect on your life and daily work, but if you have switched to the CBD treatment, then you might shortly experience its positive effects.
- Eliminates Cancer Symptoms – The Cannabidiol oil can treat symptoms and side effects of the treatment of cancer such as pain, nausea, and vomiting. It has shown a drastic impact on depression, vomiting, and nausea.
- Reduces acne – CBD can reduce the production of sebum and its anti-inflammatory properties can rest acne very well. Therefore, it can prevent acne and pimples.
- For heart’s health- Studies and research show that CBD has several benefits on the circulatory system while having the ability to lower high blood pressure. The risks of several health conditions including stroke, heart attack, and metabolic syndrome can be a lot less if you are using CBD. CBD might be an effective and natural treatment for high blood pressure.
CBD has played an essential role in treating many health-related conditions including anxiety, heart disease, depression, and acne. It may even provide a natural cure for pain. Researches show that the potential benefits of CBD oil are ongoing and the new therapeutic uses for this remedy needs to be investigated accurately to work on people’s health conditions. People need to learn more about the safety and efficacy of CBD in managing various illnesses. The results from recent studies may tell you that CBD may provide a potent natural treatment that is safe for various health issues but these fact need to be approved by scientif experts and validated as an effective treatment for inflammation by Officials Authorities.